Swing Bed Care/Rehabilitation
What Is Swing Bed Care?
A “Swing Bed” is an acute licensed rural hospital bed which has been approved to provide short term post-acute skilled level of care. They are designed to offer medical or physical rehabilitation to patients who no longer need acute care but require additional inpatient care.
When Is A Swing Bed Appropriate?
- To complete medical treatment post acute episode for pneumonia, newly diagnosed diabetes, congestive heart failure (CHF), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and other conditions
- To heal and regain strength for safe return home or other lower level of care after an acute medical or surgical stay
- Intensive wound care
- Orthopedic rehabilitation after hip or knee surgery
- Stroke rehabilitation for those not meeting criteria for acute rehab
Who Qualifies For Swing Bed / Skilled Care?
- Our business office staff can help determine if you would qualify for swing bed care, but some of the criteria are:
- The patient has to have been in an acute hospital for at least 3 consecutive days (3 midnights)
- Has skilled needs which are related to the acute admission within the last 30 days
- Medicare Part A or other insurance with hospital-based skilled care benefits
- Days available for skilled level of care
- Patient must be willing to participate in the daily inpatient skilled care program
What Is Your Responsibility?
The goal of a skilled care program is to assist you or your loved one in becoming as independent as possible for a lower level of care such as home, assisted living or long-term care. For that reason, patients are encouraged to dress in street clothes, get out of bed for meals, and participate in daily nursing or therapy rehabilitation as needed.
Why Choose Pioneer Memorial Hospital For Swing Bed / Skilled Services?
- Acute hospital-based RN around the clock to manage your care
- Medical and/or physical nursing rehabilitation
- Availability of physical therapy as needed
- Services such as Lab and X-Ray are readily available
- Primary care physician or hospital based physician for weekly visits and as needed
- In-house 24 hour emergency care as needed
- You, or your loved one, will be close to home and cared for by staff that know you and care about you
- The case manager will work closely with you, your physician, your, family and the team to determine a discharge plan and what you will need for safe discharge
- For patients in another acute hospital who would prefer to come to our facility because it is closer to home the referral can be made by you, your family, your physician and/or your case manager at the referring hospital
- Pioneer Memorial Hospital’s admissions’ team will determine if you meet admission criteria for short-term skilled care and whether you have days available according to your pay or source
To learn more about our Swing Bed program and availability please contact Molly Rhea, Director of Nursing at 541-676-2947. Please fax Swing Bed referrals to 541-676-2900.